I think it is getting closer to being done. My buddy came up and helped me finish up the drop ceiling. Started out thinking about using canned lights but switched to some LED lights, maybe I will do a separate post on that.
The floor is the first thing I need to finalize. I think I bit off more than I can chew from the beginning. Should have probably just went with some more carpet but of course….. I want to do hardwood. After finding out the floor was insanely not level and just a complete mess we got that fixed up with a while bunch of self leveling concrete. Also added a layer of DriCore flooring. My plan was just to level it off to the closet door and main door and figure something out from there.
Now I’m to that point. I have decided to use stair nose as a “threshold.” Obviously not going to be easy but hey “Go BIG or go home!” I’m trying to figure out the logistics of cutting the stair nose to make things work. Basically the “nose” will be on the inside of the closet and on the outside of the office in the hallway. So I need to figure out how to notch the wood cleanly. Unfortunately I don’t have the plethora of tools that I could probably use. I think I am going to call in a favor or two on this one.
Once I get that done I will pretty much use that to “lock” the floating floor in and be done with that project. I will have to do some monkeying around for some of the little pieces I will have to custom make in order to finish it. I have a ton of scrap and I can play with that and goof up several times before the “final.”
Unfortunately with the stair nose I am limited. I ordered my flooring from Lumber Liquidators years ago and they no longer have that flooring available and they had to look all over the US to get the two pieces I was able to get.
Then will come the closet door and office door. Both I think I am going to have to call some favors in on too. NEVER EVER done anything like those before but I am definitely willing to learn. I can always do a lot of DIY, HGTV and YouTube watching.
Unsure what I will do for doors. I do like the look of knotty pine, but I think that might be mixing too many different types of wood. For sure I will be using solid core. I want to get rid of the hollow cores entirely in the house.
So we shall see.
THE ACCENT WALL
This has always been my big focal point of the room and I actually had plans from Day 1 on what to do with it. I love the look of rough cedar so thats what I covered the wall with.
I really enjoyed picking out the wood for this wall. I think cedar has a lot of “personality” and uniqueness and it shows pretty easily. I did not want it to look anywhere near perfect. I like the the little imperfections, wrong spacing, etc…. The one thing I wish I would have done was painted the wall black first and then started placing the wood on it. Oh well….. live and learn.
The focal point of this wall will be a large map of the ocean floors that my friend Tim bought me as a house warming gift back when I moved in. I loved the look of the map and was just waiting for the right place for it and this wall is it!
I definitely do need to come up with something frame wise for the map. It just won’t look right by itself. More to come on this…
My plan is to also surround the map by some of my own photography including places I have been around the United States, some other odds and ends and most likely all of the passes I have from my travels to different conventions over the years. I know for sure I will have a picture I took of the Stanley Hotel in Colorado somewhere on that wall.
THE “TEMPLE OF NERDOM”
Anyone that knows me, knows that I am a bit of a nerd and darn proud of it.
- I have collected comics since I was a young child, my brother got me into them when I was really little.
- Have a large collection of toys (Star Wars, POP Vinyl, McFarlane, etc)
- LEGOs (Love ’em)
- Prints that I have collected at various conventions I have attended (still need to get my grail, a print by Ramos)
So far I have started one wall, the wall I will eventually have my computer desk against. Started with 3 baseball bat display cases from Michaels’ to show off some of my favorite POP Vinyl’s and some other collectibles I will be taking out of storage eventually.
I also put up some prints up that I have picked up along the way. Two of my favorites from UrbnPop of Godzilla and Groot. I ran out of frames for the other half of the wall but have them on order so I can finish off that wall in its entirety.
I wanted something unique for the window treatment. I didn’t want just a plain old curtain rod. I wanted something unique so the wife and I did a little looking on good ‘ole Pinterest and came across several pins of people using black pipe for a curtain rod.
A) It’s strong
B) It’s unique looking
C) It’s cheaper then a chintzy curtain rod
So we made the measurements and headed off to Home Depot to have the pipe cut. Absolutely love the final product. Sure it was a pain in the butt to get the curtain on but it sure as heck looks cool.
- I’ve been working on a handmade computer desk for a while. Still need to make the leg structure and most likely some sort of structure underneath to store things like a scanner and printer.
- Since I have a back injury I think I am going to look into getting some sort of convertible addition to the desk so I can stand when I need to. Unfortunately those aren’t the cheapest things on the planet
- I will need to either purchase or DIY some sort of multi monitor stand. I currently use four monitors at work and would like to have at least two if not more at home. Since I do photo editing multiple monitors always help.
- Need to make some sort of work desk on the opposite wall. I want to start getting back into drawing and doing some other customization stuff. Need a good place to work on that kind of thing. Plus I want a place where I can build LEGOs when my kids are of age.
- Looking for some sort of storage for my cameras and all the gear that goes along with that. I have an old plastic Stanley work cabinet that would work awesome as a base of a work desk and has a ton of room but I would need another one and can not find them anymore. The one I have is probably 10+ years old.
- Trying to figure out a way to display some of my comic books. I don’t have any holy grails worth millions so its not for anything like that but I love the artistry in comics and would love to be able to display some of my favorites.
So as you can see, I have my work cut out for me but I love doing this stuff and as long as my wife is patient with me I will get it done ONE DAY!!
At the end of the day I can also say “I DID THIS”…… It gives me and my wife things to do together that we both enjoy…. so its a win win!